Accidental Death

Publish Date: January 20, 2018
Written by: Sheriff's Office
Categories: News

Birmingham, AL 01/20/2018

Sheriffs Office notified after a western Jefferson County teen died at an area hospital from burns received on January 14, at a home on Snowville-Brent Road.

On Thursday January 18, Sheriff’s officials were contacted by a hospital social worker who reported that a male teen had suffered severe burns and would be taken off life support.

Detectives began an investigation into the teen’s death. The investigation revealed that, on the evening of January 14, the victim and two other teens were trying to ignite some type of paper near a deck to the home. When the paper did not burn rapidly enough, the victim picked up a five gallon can of gasoline and dumped it on the small fire. The gasoline exploded and showered the victim with flames.

Paramedics responded and transported the victim to the hospital. He died at the hospital on January 18, 2018.

Foul play is not suspected in this death. Our hearts and prayers are with the family.

 

LATEST HEADLINES